After reading about a variety of ideas on the matter, I decided to share my own opinions and suggestions here.
WHAT (NOT) TO DO
- Do not jump the gun for defensive measures.
- Do take time to understand 'why.'
- Do not see the rental business as the enemy.
- Do understand the concept of 'value added.'
- Do not fall back to primitive, backwards ideas to block/restrict/limit/fight the consumers' access to value.
- Do look into ways of improving the value of your product at retail.
- Do not just hold your breath until the digital delivery revolution.
- Do read about the music industry versus mp3 format again.
And do remember; ultimately it's the customer who puts the price on your product, not you. It was never some royal decree that you should be making money, and it will never be.